Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How can I compromise with my husband about saving electric?

My husband is hard to get along with. I am the one who takes care of all the bills in the house. He is already wanting to use heat in the house and makes it stay in the 70s. I want it to stay at 62. It is so hard to pay the bills. We are VERY behind but he doesn't care. He refuses to put on a sweater to keep warm. How can I get him to listen to me?How can I compromise with my husband about saving electric?
start doing the ';college diet';. Only have ramen noodles, hot dogs, grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese etc for dinner. when he asks why the dinners suck, tell him it is because you couldn't afford steaks and hamburger and had to cut expenses somewhere since he wouldn't be willing to compromise and turn the thermostat to 68. (62 is way too cold!!!!) Remember...you have to compromise too. Meet him in the middle.





When I first moved in with my hubby, I preferred the thermostat to be set to 70, he liked 66....so we started with 69. Once i got used to it then we moved it to 68...now we are at 67. If you slowly turn down the thermostat he won't notice hardly. How can I compromise with my husband about saving electric?
Explain that you can't meet the bills with your current income. Give him the option of helping you find ways to cut your budget or finding a second job to help you better afford everything. Personally, I'm sort of with your husband on this one. It's important to me to be comfortable in my own home. I'd rather find other places to sacrifice and have a home that I can be comfortable in. Perhaps the two of you could come to a compromise and find some other ways to save.
I'm right there with you sister! My husband resembles this comment. Mine is like he doesn't want to see the bills, tells me to just pay them, and he says its too depressing. We'll it's life (my thoughts) so deal with it (I don't say this). I have a spreadsheet that I keep in excel that has listed every bill that I use for the entire year. I mark it when its paid, how its paid and when its paid. There is one column for what it due, in bold, and totaled column. When money comes in, I show him what is due and the due dates. I want him to help me decide what to pay with the money. It helps. If you want this spreadsheet and you have excel, email me. It really does help me and maybe you'll find some use of it or edit it and make it your own.
explain to him that if he doesn't start to be more conservative the house will be a lot colder then 62 because you wont be able to pay the bill and it will get cut off. It that doesn't work just find other areas in the bills where you can make up the difference like food, don't buy name brand stuff get store brand or buy in bulk and freeze things.
Well if he is going to behave like a child then treat him like one. Do what we do - we shut off the whole thermostate at the fuse box so our kids can't even turn on A/C or heat - at night when U need hot water U can flip it back on. He's just being childish and stubborn - U pay the bills so just tell him if he can't or won't be mature minded about it U will do so on your own. Tell him this is IMPORTANT to you and to your finances and he needs to GROW THE HECK UP!
Ha! I laugh because I have the same problem. My suggestion: let your family get so far behind they shut the electricity off. Then let him do the financial bail out. Once it becomes a problem for him he might take a little more responsibility.
Don't pay the bill...when it gets shut off you can explain that you tried convincing him to COMPROMISE, and if he wants it that warm, he'll have to pay the bill!
62?? Are you serious?? What are you, Santa?





74-75 is a more than reasonable compromise. Heck, I complain when it drops below 77.
If he wants to act like a little boy treat him like one but when he wants to have something at night tell he acts to much like a little boy and refuse to let him do anything he will come along my woman usually gets what she wants LOL
Tell him it's either we turn the heat down or the TV is only on for one hour out of the night to keep the costs down.








I guarantee he'll bundle up.
Well maybe try handing him a sweater whenver he complains about the house being too cold .Or let him take care of that one bill and he will understand



Let him pay the bills. That might help him understand.
Can you two maybe meet in the middle about the temp?
62 is freezing. Can you compromise at 68?

No comments:

Post a Comment