Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What are some tips for handling my husband post deployment?

My fiance has spent the past 8 months in Afghanistan and I am worried about how things are going to go when he gets home. This was his first deployment and I can already tell a difference in him over the phone. What are some signs I should be looking for in his behavior and what are some tips for me on how to deal with him being home? What is he going to be feeling when he gets home? Any advise or stories will be appreciated thanks. What are some tips for handling my husband post deployment?
Talk to the base chaplain.... they should be able to help you out.





talk with other wives whose husbands have come back.... ask them, what worked, what didn't, and what to avoid.What are some tips for handling my husband post deployment?
Ive somewhat been through this situation before when my bf left to Iraq and came back 9 months later (he was in the Navy serving with the Marines).


Some things you should look for are 1) withdrawal 2) attitude change.





When my bf came back, I was totally unprepared for how our we would act towards each other. First, when he comes back its almost like you have to get reacquainted all over again. You have to understand that he probably saw a lot of things while he was gone and that being away from normal life for so long has an affect. It takes time for him to adjust again. In can be excruciatingly awkward at first and for the first few days or weeks. Give him some space. Dont immediately talk about serious things that can wait for later. He just wants to adjust and get used to being back home.


When my bf came back, I spent a week with him in San Diego and it was one of the most miserable times Ive spent with him. His attitude came as a total surprise...since we talked on the phone the whole time he was gone and he always seemed happy to talk to me. Its different once they are back home. He was withdrawn, didnt speak alot to me, and at times was aggressive (verbally and to a certain extent physically). I would say that I was unprepared for the way he was...actual wives get a better understanding of all this because the military provides them a class where they can learn what to expect after a deployment.





Just be understanding, give him space, and hopefully this will show him you are there for him.
I think you should mind these thoughts, but most importantly I would support him and love him. I am sure that he is thinking the same. He has been out fighting for freedom and oil and greed. These things he knows. It may make him feel bitter. He may feel under appreciated. He will want to know that you are proud of him. That you still love him and support him. Give it your best and try your best. Be sensitive and patient.
dont question him about what he seen .. wait on him to open up. !


and notice that they will be diff. they learn respect and stuff there. there is no telling what hes been through. my husband comes home in feb from third deployment everytime he comes home something changes. its part of the military life!
There should be resources available through Navy Relief.


(Yes, Marines are Dept. of the Navy whether they like it or not)

No comments:

Post a Comment